Weekly Newsletter 04-23-13

Purple onions, oregano, squash, Napa cabbage, Bibb lettuce, tomatoes, English peas, corn

Recipes for This Week’s Bin

We want you to get the most out of your Veggie Bin. Utilize every tasty bite with some of these recipes which feature every item you’ll get this week.

Recipe Note: Some recipes may call for more or less produce than you receive. We feature recipes which can be doubled or halved if necessary. Enjoy!

Please feel free to share YOUR Veggie Bin creations on our Facebook page!

100% Organic Bin

Purple onions, oregano, squash, Napa cabbage, Bibb lettuce, blueberries, red potatoes, sugar snap peas, rainbow carrots

Organic Bin Recipes

Fruit Bin

  • Blueberries
  • Pink Lady Apples
  • Mango
  • Bananas

Black = Locally Sourced Conventionally Produced
Green = Locally Sourced Organics
Blue = Globally Sourced Organics

Coming Soon!

The Veggie Bin started out as one woman’s dream – simply to provide a direct link between small local farmers and city dwelling folks. Today, The Veggie Bin has grown enough to begin offering more choices. We are in the process of putting systems in place which will allow us to serve you better than ever before. A new web application will allow us to offer smaller bins for single folks, online payment and vacation suspensions, expanded local artisan add-ons, a double fruit subscription for those who only need fruit and much more. We’ll be rolling out these new options in the coming months and we expect fully functional awesomeness next season. We’re always looking for better ways to serve you!

Happy Cooking!

~The Veggie Bin Team

Welcome to the Family!

We’re very pleased to announce Wee Sprout Naturally in Mandarin as our newest pickup point for customers outside of our delivery zones. Located at 3491 Pall Mall Drive, Suite 103, just off San Jose Blvd., Wee Sprout Naturally offers natural baby products and learning opportunities for you and your favorite little sprout. You can check out their location and the products and services they have at their website. It’s a huge challenge to service such a large city so pickup partners are a vital part of getting local produce to as many customers as possible. We thank Wee Sprout for hosting us and hope that our customers will pass along this great news to their friends and family in the Mandarin area.

English Peas Unearthed!

Your English peas came to us from Brown’s Farm, less than 60 miles from most of our customers’ homes.

This week’s Veggie Unearthed is also known as a shell or garden pea. They are called “English” because a great many varieties were developed in England. Nutritionally, peas are a protein powerhouse. A three-quarter cup serving contains 100 calories and more protein than a whole egg, but less than one-half of a gram of fat.

These harbingers of spring are most familiar to Americans as a canned or frozen item. Just 5% of all the peas grown in America come to the consumer fresh, with the other 95% being frozen or canned. The flavor of the peas is brighter and “greener” in fresh peas, but the real wow factor comes from the texture. Most peas are blob of goo long before they hit your plate, but these peas will give you a toothy snap when you bite into them. The simplest preparation is just a small pan of boiling salted water. Just drop your peas into the water for 2-3 minutes, then test them until they are to your desired texture.

The peas come to you already shelled. This means that all the prep work has already been done for you. However, we do suggest that you wash your peas thoroughly before cooking them. You can store them in the plastic bag in your fridge for 3-5 days, but as with most green produce, we suggest eating them as soon as possible for best quality.

English Peas Recipes

Need Veggie Tech Support? Visit us on Facebook to share recipes and tips with other Veggie Bin customers and ask any questions you might have about the contents of your bin. You can also email us at info@theveggiebin.com.

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Returning your bin clean and undamaged means that we can use it again and again. This keeps costs down, minimizes landfill waste and keeps your carbon footprint smaller. Bins that aren’t returned will incur a replacement fee, so be sure to put it out for pickup!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s